Sunday, May 27, 2012

The price of everything

“Do you have common sense?” my seven-year old daughter once asked me. Obviously, I replied “Yes, I suppose so”. “Then, answer this question” she continued “a man goes to a car showroom to buy a car. He sees a car made of silver and another car made of gold. Why did he buy the golden car?” she asked (she is well aware that gold costs more than silver). “Maybe, because he liked the golden color” I said. “You’re wrong” she said “he bought the golden car because he had more money”.

She had a point. A car of any make, size or color would serve the purpose of transporting the man from one point to another. That is its ‘utility value’. But a ‘perceived value’ may be quite different from utility value of a car. Perceived value comes from factors like travel comfort, safety or style. The same is true for any product or service we buy.

Have you ever wondered as to how everything is priced? In an ideal world (all things being equal), the branded pizza that I ordered last week should have cost exactly the same as it would cost, if I made it in my kitchen.

If I was a die-hard believer on making a pizza myself from end-to-end, I will have to grow the wheat, grind it into flour to make the pizza base, rear a cow to give me milk to make cheese and butter; and grow the vegetables in my garden (I may take a few months to make one pizza). This choice is of course not available to most of us. The bottom line is that the cost of my pizza will be substantially lower than the branded one (not counting the cost of my time). I may take an alternate route - buy the basic ingredients and just “assemble” the pizza in my kitchen. It will definitely cost more than the “do-it-all-yourself” approach, but still less than the branded pizza.

Then, why should I be ready to shell out more money for a branded pizza, knowing that I was being robbed blind (with my eyes wide open)?

When you think about it, for the branded pizza outlet, the cost of making a pizza is the aggregate of four factors of production – men (cost of labor), material (cost of the ingredients, rent, electricity, advertisement and the like), capital (interest on loans) and enterprise (everything else that you can think of).

As is most often the case, the pizza outlet may have bought most of the ingredients and services from vendors and will have paid more than what it would cost it in a ‘do-it-all-yourself” model. Those vendors, in turn, will have sourced much of their wares from someone else. All this has a cascading effect on costs. But even with the cascading costs, economies of scale and bargaining power should drive down the real cost for the pizza outlet to even lower than what it will cost me to make in my kitchen.

We are back to the same question – why do we pay more for everything we buy? Is it because we have more money than we need, like the man who bought the golden car? Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment